The Per- and Polyfluoroalkyl Substances (PFAS) Removal Rebate Program for Private Wells will provide a one-time rebate to private well users for up to $5,000 for the installation of PFAS treatment (point-of-use or point-of-entry) or up to $10,000 for a service connection to a public water system. This is an increase from the original announcement of up to a $1,500 rebate for the installation of PFAS treatment.
Note: Treatment installations completed after September 30, 2019, are eligible for this program. Eligibility must be determined through the application process and approval from NHDES to receive a rebate.
The following entities are eligible to apply for the rebate program:
- Owners of a single or multiple-unit residential property.
- Tenants/occupants of a residential property where the owner of the property has not applied for the rebate for the same property.
- Treatment installers may apply on behalf of an eligible applicant with an appropriate waiver of claims between the two parties.
Applicants must be able to provide documentation of a PFAS exceedance with no offer of an alternate water source (bottled water, treatment, or service connection) from a third party. An exceedance is a PFAS result greater than one or more of NHDES’ Ambient Groundwater Quality Standards (AGQS).
|Per- and Polyfluoroalkyl Substance||Ambient Groundwater Quality Standard (nanograms/liter (or part per trillion, ppt))|
|Perfluorooctanoic acid (PFOA)||12|
|Perfluorooctane sulfonic acid (PFOS)||15|
|Perfluorohexane sulfonic acid (PFHxS)||18|
|Perfluorononanoic acid (PFNA)||11|
For more information, please refer to our:
How to Apply:
NHDES is accepting applications online (preferred), as well as by mail, email or hand delivered. An electronic version, which is printable, is available at the link below along with the online form. A paper copy is available upon request.
- Submit an application – A separate application is required for each requested rebate.
In order to receive reimbursement from the program, all applicants will need to register with the NH Department of Administration (NHDAS) and obtain a Vendor Code. To register for a Vendor Code, please visit NHDAS Bureau of Purchase & Property’s website. Please refer to Utilizing the Online Vendor Registration Guidance on how to complete the registration which is also listed under Additional Resources below.
Treatment vendors are eligible to apply for the rebate on behalf of their customers. For new installations, applicants may reach out to their vendor to inquire if they may be willing to apply for the rebate using their Vendor Code.
Documentation required with the rebate application includes:
- A complete and signed application form.
- Analytical lab results showing an exceedance of one or more of the PFAS AGQS. *
- Sales receipt(s)/invoice(s).
- Specification sheets for treatment media and equipment installed, if applicable and available.
- Photo documentation of the installation or service connection.
- Post-treatment analytical lab results showing PFAS concentrations below the AGQS. *
*If NHDES sampled your well, you will not be required to submit your results.
- Rebate Program for Removal of PFAS in Private Wells – Final Funding Proposal
- In-Home Water Filtration Options
- Selecting the Right Option for You: A Guide to Ensuring Safe Drinking Water
- DWGB 7-3 New Hampshire Small Public Water Systems Contractors
- Laboratories that Provide PFAS Testing Services
- Utilizing the Online Vendor Registration